Unique information about Migration (2023)
Story of family bonding through migration ; Migration (2023) Unlike most migration movies that focus on large-scale animal journeys, “Migration” tells the heartwarming story of a single mallard family’s attempt to migrate from their New England pond to Jamaica. The film explores themes of family, overcoming fears, and embracing new experiences through the lens of this adventurous trip.
Written by the creator of “The White Lotus”: The screenplay for “Migration” was written by Mike White, the Emmy-winning creator of the hit HBO series “The White Lotus.” White’s signature blend of humor and heartwarming storytelling is evident in the film, making it both entertaining and emotionally resonant.
Atypical animation style: While produced by Illumination, the animation style in “Migration” differs from their usual Despicable Me or Sing franchise. The film features a blend of 2D and 3D animation, with a watercolor-like aesthetic that gives it a unique and visually stunning look.
Voice cast with comedic timing: The film boasts a star-studded voice cast, including Kumail Nanjiani, Elizabeth Banks, Keegan-Michael Key, Awkwafina, and Danny DeVito. Their comedic timing and vocal performances bring the characters to life and add to the film’s humor.
Critical reception: “Migration” received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised its animation, humor, and heartwarming story. The film was also a box office success, grossing over $174 million worldwide.
Easter eggs and references: The film is filled with fun Easter eggs and references for eagle-eyed viewers. Look out for nods to other Illumination movies, pop culture references, and even a hidden appearance by Mike White himself.
The Mallard family takes flight:
Our story centers around the Mallards, a family of ducks residing in a cozy New England pond. Dad, Mack Mallard (voiced by Kumail Nanjiani), is a cautious soul, perfectly content with their predictable pond life. Mom, Pam Mallard (voiced by Elizabeth Banks), however, yearns for adventure and dreams of migrating south for the winter, like their fellow feathered friends.
Southward bound, with a detour
Inspired by a flock of migrating ducks and Pam’s unwavering enthusiasm, Mack reluctantly agrees to the journey. Their destination The sun-kissed shores of Jamaica! But things rarely go as planned, and the Mallards soon find themselves hilariously lost in the concrete jungle of New York City.
Unexpected allies and city escapades
In the Big Apple, they encounter a streetwise pigeon gang led by the tough-talking Chump (voiced by Awkwafina). Chump, in turn, knows a Jamaican parrot named Delroy (voiced by Keegan-Michael Key) who might just be their ticket to paradise. But Delroy is currently stuck as a pet in a fancy restaurant, and freeing him becomes another comical hurdle for the Mallards.
Facing fears and finding family:
Through their misadventures in the city, the Mallards navigate unexpected challenges, overcome Mack’s anxieties, and learn the importance of embracing new experiences. They discover hidden strengths within themselves and each other, all while forging unlikely friendships along the way.
Reaching paradise, a little differently:
Their journey may not have gone exactly as planned, but eventually, the Mallards do reach their own version of paradise. Whether it’s the sandy beaches of Jamaica or the newfound confidence and resilience they’ve gained, the true treasure lies in the bonds they’ve strengthened and the memories they’ve made as a family.
“Migration” is a heartwarming tale about stepping outside your comfort zone, embracing the unknown, and finding adventure in the most unexpected places. It’s a film filled with humor, heart, and stunning animation, making it a perfect choice for a family movie night you can also use my animal (2023)
- The animated comedy film directed by Benjamin Renner and co-directed by Guylo Homsy, starring Kumail Nanjiani and Elizabeth Banks? It follows a duck family’s hilarious and heartwarming journey as they migrate from their New England pond to Jamaica.
- The documentary film directed by M.I. Littin Menezes, exploring the global refugee crisis and the human stories behind migration.
Migration (animated film):
- This refers to the financial cost of producing the movie itself. Unfortunately, specific production budgets for animated films are often kept confidential. However, based on other Illumination productions, estimates suggest it could be in the range of $70-100 million.
2. Migration (refugee crisis documentary):
- Here, “cost” can have several interpretations:
- Human cost: This documentary explores the immense personal and social costs of displacement and migration, including loss of life, family separation, and economic hardship. Quantifying this is impossible, but the film sheds light on the human suffering behind migration statistics.
- Financial cost: Documentaries like this typically have smaller budgets compared to feature films, likely in the range of $1-5 million. This covers production costs like filming, editing, and distribution.
- Economic cost: Migration can have both positive and negative economic impacts on sending and receiving countries. The documentary likely touches on these complexities without providing a single “cost” figure
Development and Inspiration:
- The film’s development began in February 2022, initially titled just “Migration.” Benjamin Renner, known for his work on “Ernest & Celestine” and “The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales,” was brought on board as director, with Chris Meledandri of Illumination Studios producing.
- The story was co-written by Renner and Mike White, the Emmy-winning creator of “The White Lotus.” White’s signature blend of humor and heartwarming storytelling infused the script, adding depth and relatability to the animated adventure.
Animation and Style:
- While produced by Illumination, known for their Despicable Me and Sing franchises, “Migration” stands out with a unique animation style. It blends 2D and 3D animation, utilizing a watercolor-like aesthetic that creates a visually stunning and distinct look.
- The animation team aimed to capture the fluidity and grace of bird flight, evident in the realistic movements and feather details of the duck characters.
Voice Cast and Characters:
- The film boasts a star-studded voice cast, including Kumail Nanjiani as the cautious yet loving Dad, Mack Mallard; Elizabeth Banks as the adventurous Mom, Pam Mallard; Keegan-Michael Key as the smooth-talking Jamaican parrot, Delroy; Awkwafina as the streetwise pigeon leader, Chump; and Danny DeVito as the flamboyant restaurant owner, Mr. Big.
- Each character was carefully crafted with distinct personalities and quirks, brought to life through the talented voice actors’ performances, adding humor and emotional depth to the film.
Challenges and Triumphs:
- Producing a film about migrating birds presented unique challenges. Animating realistic flight sequences and depicting diverse landscapes required innovative techniques and meticulous attention to detail.
- Despite the challenges, the production team successfully captured the essence of migration, highlighting the beauty and wonder of flight while weaving in a heartwarming family story.
Release and Reception:
- “Migration” premiered in December 2023 and received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised its animation, humor, and heartwarming storyline. The film was also a box office success, grossing over $174 million worldwide